Thursday, August 11, 2022

July 2022 Wrap Up

In keeping with the theme for the year now, let us commence with our July Wrap Up for 2022. I've read 4 book this month!

1. A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan - I've had this book for a while, and hadn't read it yet. Shelf Space chose it as their July read along book for the month, and at that point I decided why not. It was interesting. I liked the setting and how women were expected to be meek little things only concerning themselves with romance novels and frilly "ladylike" things that Isabella nearly wanted nothing to do with. I'm glad that eventually we overcome this. Her journey was brilliant. I wholeheartedly believe that if it weren't for Isabella just dashing off on life-threatening adventures with and without her husband's permission, they never would have learned half the stuff they did. I'm definitely going to pick up A Sea of Serpents soon to see how her adventures continue. 

2. Blood Like Magic by Liselle Sambury - This book was pretty good. I loved the way we follow her and how she agonizes over what choice she'd make. Or not make. She gets her task, fails it, then gets a second chance and it's almost a worse one. Voya has to figure out how to complete her task and get a power to fully call herself a witch. There were moments I definitely didn't understand, but then I am not part of any poc community (yep, I'm whiter than a piece of paper), but I did enjoy the way it was told and how she overcame it in the end. Four stars and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the next. 

3. The Tower of Swallows by Andrzej Sapkowski - I think I'm down to only two books remaining now. The Lady of the Lake and Season of Storms, which I heard you're supposed to read last because it has spoilers for the rest of the series in it. This is the fourth volume in the series and so far I've liked it better than the others. The writing has gotten much better. I still live for the Witcher sass. Looking forward to volume five!

4. The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah - I liked the story very much. There were times where I could guess where the plot was going, and definitely times where I couldn't. She was quite imaginative in her telling of the tales of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (Omar), Aladdin (Mazen), and probably a few other variants on the 1,001 Nights. Which also featured in and of itself as a plot device. I loved it and I'm looking forward to the next volume in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment