Thursday, July 6, 2023

September 2023 Book Haul

I am going to try to keep my book-buying down in September. I know I'm terrible at it, but hey, it's my goal. Who knows if I'll actually be able to keep up!

In September, I managed to borrow or buy 3 books:

1. Thanatos by Eva Pohler - I do not remember exactly why I picked this up, other than it was free on Amazon (or rather cheap, I don't remember which). It appears to be about the God of Death getting stuck in the human world? Ah, no he makes a deal to live in the mortal realm as a human. Which makes no sense as Hades wouldn't exist without Thanatos....he's the God of Death/Dying. I'm curious to see how exactly this will work because from what I remember of actual myth...no one will die now. Immortality because the guy who separates your soul from your body wants to be a man? Cool. 

2. The Bookbinder by Pip Williams - Originally titled The Bookbinder of Jericho, I saw this while browsing for my free book (it's my birthday month!) on Book of the Month and it looked kind of interesting. I've been in a historical fiction mood and this one takes place in 1914. Follows a bookbinder who realizes what she wants and goes after it. I think. I'll tell you more in the wrap up when I read it. 

3. The Stranger Upstairs by Lisa M. Matlin - And for a complete three-sixty in bookish acquisitions for the month, in the same order I got this. It looks spooky and it's going to be perfect for October reading. I also may have fallen for the cover. I already have a ton of books I want to get to in the back half of the year, but will I likely pick this up anyway? Probably. 

4. The Book Eaters by Sunyi Dean - I have been wanting this one for some time. The last time I attempted to order it, the site had an estimated arrival of August...2024. I have no idea why it was so far out for a book published in 2022. I bought it this go round from Barnes & Noble and I've already started it. It looked really good and I was curious if they had meant figurative or literal eating of books. I cannot wait to find out more!!! (If anyone ever wonders what I spend my scratch-off ticket winnings on...it's this.) 

5. House of Hollow by Krystal Sutherland - I am actually clueless what this book is about. It is the October selection for a reading group I'm part of, so I picked it up from PangoBooks for relatively cheap to read along with the rest of the group. Something happens to some girls in Scotland, and then years later it comes back. That's literally all I know and I am looking forward to reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment