Saturday, March 2, 2024

February 2024 Book Haul

Trying (and likely enough failing) to keep my book buying DOWN this month. January was bananas...even though I think I only paid for two of the books, I still don't want to add nearly that many to my To Be Read lists in February!!

With that said, I acquired 15 books in February!

1: Butcher & Blackbird by Brynne Weaver - I grabbed it as an addition on the February book box from Book of the Month. It looked interesting, serial killers that specialize in killing serial killers? Come on. That sounds fantastic. And I've heard it's supposed to be a romantic comedy of sorts. I don't know how that will mesh with the thriller/murdery aspect of it, but damn am I looking forward to that. I cannot wait to dive in and find out for myself what all the hype is about.

2: The Fury by Alex Michaelides - I have the other two books by this author (I've read The Silent Patient and it was really good), so when I saw this one up there I had to have it. I know it's some kind of a thriller that takes place on an island. I've read books of a similar stroke in the past, and I am quite curious about the plotline and how it will develop from there. I am quite curious and cannot wait to read it. 

3: Roman Conquests: Gaul by Michael Sage - I grabbed this one for research on a novel idea that I have. The basic culture/time period is the Gallic one before Caesar invaded an annexed it onto the Roman Empire. I will be starting it as soon as I am actually ready to research the book itself. For now though, it's enough that I have it. I will definitely be keeping you all updated for that!

4: Ink & Incarnation by many authors - This one is an anthology of YA lit that looked interesting and I've been meaning to read more of these anyway. I want to read one per day. Like at night before I go to bed. Hopefully this will help me get more into that! 

5: Medusa: Rise of a Goddess by H. Dean Fisher - I am a huge Greek Mythology nerd and I've been looking into more books on Medusa. She got shafted. Let's be real. People don't tell her whole story usually and I saw this available in the Little Free Library at my church, so I had to have it. I did return with one the next week I was there. It looks interesting, if not a little juvenile. I'm still quite interested in the book. 

6: The Common Heart ed. by Netanel Miles-Perez - I have always been interested in learning more about various religions and the way people practice them. This was very intriguing being a bunch of essays by various religious practitioners and how they all connected to each other. It looks interesting and I'm very much looking forward to reading. 

7: King of the Rising by Kacen Callender - The sequel to Queen of the Conquered. I read that probably two or three years ago, whenever it first came out, and I've just now purchased the second volume. I will likely enough need to read the first one again because it's been way too long since I've read it and this one throws you right into the action with no recap. I've been meaning to buy it for a while, but new and exciting books have always caught my attention first.

8: The 1619 Project by Nikole Hannah-Jones - I attend a very lovely Unitarian Universalist church in Dallas, PA. The week of the 18th, we had a lovely speaker who talked about staying 'woke' and he made mention several times of this book and said a few quotes from it. I sent myself a sample from Amazon and I kind of did the magic disappearing act while I was reading it and thus had to go get myself a print copy of it. I have already started it and I cannot wait to continue and learn more. 

9: The Prison Healer by Lynette Noni - I have heard a lot about this one and it sequels. I saw it (usually I only see volumes 2 & 3) and I just had to grab it. I have no idea what it's about and I am so excited for it. It says for fantasy lovers on the cover and I'm hoping that it's true. 

10: To Shape a Dragon's Breath by Moniquill Blackgoose - I've also seen this one floating around the internet and since finishing Angeline Boulley's book, I'm curious about more indigenous folks in books as the main character. I'm curious about it and what I'll find in the pages. This one is on my tentative March 2024 TBR. It looks beautiful and I am so super intrigued by it. 

11: The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri - I have no excuse. I just wanted it. I've been seeing it (and it's sequel (The Oleander Sword?) all over TikTok/YouTube under LGBTQIA+ recs. So when I saw it I was like why not? It's by my favorite publisher of all time...so I am confident that I'm going to love it. It's got giant typesetting, so like this will be something. 

12: A Tempest of Tea by Hafsah Faizal - It's pretty? I've seen it not that long ago and I knew I needed it. They had exactly one copy at my local BN. What's a bookworm to do? I had to get it while I was there. That way I could be sure I had it. It looks stunning and the plot, from what I can tell, is going to be amazing. I cannot wait to read it. It will be a top contender in the April 2024 TBR. 

13: Stars of Chaos #1 by priest - I've been seeing this all over the danmei world, and I'm curious. I want to know. I have no clue what it's about. I don't know any of the characters. I know literally nothing about this book other than the cover is pretty and its about gay Chinese boys. That's all I can say. I grabbed it because they finally had a copy in stock at my local BN. 

14: A Duet of Darkness and Dreams by L.H. Blake - I pre-ordered this. It's the sequel to A Song of Sin and Salvation, which is very much Eddie x Chrissy. I think this one is very much like Billy x Nancy and that amuses me to no end, so I must know what's going on here. I want to find out more and love the color scheme compared to the first book. I'm hoping there is a third volume that's got Steve (and is purple?). One can only hope. 

15: I'd tell you about it, but it's a Wednesday book and I fully support the SMP marketing boycott, which I'm not even sure is still happening? But for now at least, I will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment