Saturday, March 23, 2024

March 2024 Wrap Up

I've read 6 books in March. It's definitely better than February with its lowly 1 book.

1: A Botanical Daughter by Noah Medlock - It was interesting. I loved the way the plot was written. All I could think the entire time I read it, was "If Victor had a thing for botany." I don't feel bad at all for what happened to Mallory or to Connie's dad. They both deserved what they got. Worth the read for sure!!

2: IT by Stephen King - Four months! I think that's the quickest I've ever read a 1000+ page book. I have forgotten most of it now, and I have no idea why I highlighted a passage. The whole idea of what It actually was was really impressive. I think there's only one other book of his that has a similar idea of something coming from "outside" of our reality. I liked it. Now I can watch the movies.

3: The Myth of June by A.B. Daniels-Annachi - An eARC I got of a book being re-released in March. I don't know how to feel about this one. On the one hand, I did like it's portrayal of the various Greek gods as perfectly fallible individuals, which was true, but on the other I didn't like how almost oblivious June sometimes was. The whole thing could have been avoided if she just asked questions. I am trying to decide if it's meant to be YA or Adult, and I don't know. 

4: The Black Crow Flies by L.B. Perdan - One of the KU books I grabbed. I saw an ad on BookTok about the sequel to it, Rise of the White Owl, and I wanted to read that one. So I figured I should start with the first book in the series. It's rather good. I liked the way it was written and all the tension between Blaze and Catrice. She is a 'hero' to her people simply by being alive and he is falling for the enemy.

5: Butcher & Blackbird by Brynne Weaver - I'm entirely sure I wasn't supposed to be amused by this book, but I definitely was. As I reached each of the various trigger warning locations within the book, and guessing if they were the right thing and seeing how close I am (I must say, I did like the "questionable use of a mummified corpse"). I could have done without the gratuitous sex scenes, but that's just a me thing. Overall, it was pretty good. 

6: Crown of Feathers by Nikki Pau Preto - This was an interesting read. I liked the take on magic and how it worked in the world. The connection people have to animals and how they used their magic really could tell you a lot about them. I liked getting the story from different perspectives, though I did keep thinking poor Sev was actually in his mid-late twenties instead of being eighteen. He kind of came off as much older than he was. I think I saw the hint of a romance to happen with him and another character in Heart of Flames that I cannot wait to see about. 

7: Godkiller by Hannah Kaner - I adored this one. Easily the only 5/5 I've read in March. I loved how absolutely cynical Kissen was. She'd been let down by people and gods too many times and had trust in no one but herself, Yatho, and Telle. She didn't take anyone at face value and formed her own opinions. I liked how we watch her grow attached to people and learn what's really going on in the background. I loved her relationship with the noble heir and the god that is attached to them. I'm really curious to see if in the next book, he does get a shrine and we find out his memories. It's going to bother me until I know. I like men like Elogast, owning up to their mistakes and trying to rectify it, even at great cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment