Saturday, March 16, 2024

Review: The Myth of June by A.B. Daniels-Annachi

When Juniper Georgian's father gazed into the face of divinity without flinching, the last Titan God, Typhon, took it upon himself to offer lifelong protection to the newborn girl.

Years later, with Typhon away and June now a grown woman, she is viciously attacked by someone she thought she could trust - resulting in yet another God stepping in with a gift of their own.

Blessed with extraordinary power, June is thrown into a battle against one of the most powerful gods in existence. Through her fight for justice, she will have to uncover deep secrets that her father has withheld, and take on the terrifying monsters and angry immortals that she'd always believed to be a myth.

Will she be able to stop a war of the gods before it begins? Or will all fall to Chaos?

* * *

I went into this book sort of blind, yes, pun entirely intended. I got an email from A.B. Daniels-Annachi thanking me for signing up for the ARC team. Which I have absolutely no recollection of doing. I downloaded the book to my Kindle and got to reading. 

I don't quite know how I feel about the history of the Greek pantheon being like, the primary deities of this alternate universe not being explored more. I would love to know why and how that universe evolved be pantheistic versus the majority monotheistic one we have in our current reality (I say this as a Hellenistic Pagan, I do see the irony). I want to know more. 

I couldn't tell what age-range this book was meant to be for. It's set in 1926 at the start, but it has what felt like anachronisms all throughout it. The writing was kind of juvenile for the themes that were going on. There was a lot that happened that made me wonder how dense the characters actually were. June is generally one of the most intelligently oblivious people I've ever read from the perspective of. I understand that this is a retelling of Medusa. I didn't care for it. It seemed forced in a lot of places where the plot kind of ran out before the scene was done. They would run into the wall of having the characters clearly needing to do more, but not really having anything to do. 

The initial part of the description apparently happens off-screen? We never even get to see it happen. It's talked about, kind of, but we never see it happen, which bugged the hell out of me. I don't think I'll ever reread this or really recommend it to anyone....

* * *

This book will be re-released on March 26, 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment