Monday, July 11, 2022

2022 Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

 I rarely do any tags I see these days. Mostly it's people using that tier system to "rank" their books, which really I don't bother because I don't see the point in ranking books that way. However, I will participate in one of the largest tags that I see come across the Bookish community. The Mid-Year Book Freakout. With that said, let's get into the questions (and my answers!) 

1. What is your favorite book so far in 2022? The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea by Axie Oh. I loved the storyline and the way it was told. You could almost feel the same emotions the main character was going through as it was happening. 

2) What is the best sequel you've read so far in 2022? The Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski, being (at the time) the only sequel I've read in 2022 thus far. I watched the first two or three episodes of the Witcher series on Netflix and I've seen the animated movie, Wolf's Nightmare. Before I finish the television program, I'd like to read all the way through the series. As of the writing of this, I am on volume 4. 

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to? The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah. It reminded me a lot of a combination of Aladdin and the Forty Thieves and what I've heard about the Daevabad series. (Did I spell that right? I'm not sure I did). Either way it looked really interesting and I am looking forward to reading it. 

4. What is your most anticipated release for the second half of 2022? Easily Heart of the Sun Warrior by Sue Lynn Tan. I bought myself the first book in the duology, Daughter of the Moon Goddess, being already somewhat familiar with the legend that inspired it and I am curious to see where she goes with the rest of the tale. 

5. What was your biggest surprise so far of 2022? How terrible Everyday Magic by Semra Haksever was. I was so disappointed in what she wrote. I wouldn't be surprised to learn she's a TERF or anything. She seemed to be of the impression only women could be witches (insisted on using she/her pronouns and referring to witches only in the feminine) and a good deal of what she wrote was meant to be taken as 100% the only way when I am positive that's not correct. 

6. Who is your new favorite author? That's a tie. Solidly. Between James Islington (Licanius Trilogy) and Matthew Ward (Legacy Trilogy), both of which are epic adult high fantasy authors published by Orbit. I guess my new favorite publisher in 2022 is Orbit? 

7. Who is your newest fictional crush? Another easy one. That is [Sir] Geralt of Rivia. He doesn't strike one as the kind of person you would have a crush on, but his morals are so sound that he is willing to do just about anything to uphold them. He's strong, smart, almost foolishly brave, and not to mention really nice to look at (in any of his many versions). I will forever be enamored by Geralt. 

8. What book made you cry? I can't really think of one? I sometimes get misty-eyed, but so far this year there hasn't been a single book that's actually moved me to tears. Not even tears of joy or frustration. I suppose the closest I came was when I was reading I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai? But that was long enough ago that my memory is quite hazy now of the event. 

9. What book made you happy? This one is easy: Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan. Being already familiar with the legend of Chang'e, I was quite pleased by the way she retold the legend and then added to it with Xingyi. It was well written. 

10. What was the most beautiful book you bought this year? As of the typing of this, I want to say its between Daughter of the Moon Goddess and Blood Like Magic by Liselle Sambury. The cover is stunning for it. I love the way the purples, pinks, and silver smoke trails mesh together on the cover with how the main character is cast almost in shadows. It is very pretty. 

11. What books do you need to read before the end of the year? I want to finish up the Witcher series (The Tower of Swallows, The Lady of the Lake, and Season of Storms) by Andrzej Sapkowski...I also want to finish The Light of All that Falls by James Islington and the two books left in Matthew Ward's Legacy trilogy (Legacy of Steel & Legacy of Light). I also want to read Blood Like Magic by Liselle Sambury, The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin, and the Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. 


What are your answers to the tag? Do it yourself and let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment