Friday, July 1, 2022

June 2022 Book Haul

I'm going to try to be better at remembering to actually write up and post these. So far in my goal of purchasing less books, I'm actually doing fairly well. Last month I bought 2 and so far this month I've purchased 3. 

1. Magpie Training by Irene Glasse and Caine Dreamwalker - The first reason I bought this? I am personally acquainted with Irene Glasse. I've been down to her CUUPs chapter to attend Full Moon walks in the past and I've met up with her at a Pagan retreat last year. So when I heard she had a book coming out, I rushed right off to order it. Both she and Caine refer to their series as Blackfeather Mystery School, which I think is a good name. The object of this, and what I assume will be subsequent volumes in the series is: a foundational, full-spectrum training in empowered witchcraft. It focuses on reducing self-sabotage while providing a solid grounding in magickal theory, devotional practices, mysticism, spellcasting, and ritual work. So says the back of the book. I'm looking forward to reading this in a group with my own CUUPs chapter. 

2. The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah - I went with this for my June 2022 Book of the Month selection because it looked rather interesting. Strikes me as a sort of Aladdin retelling? Maybe Thousand and One Nights. I'm not sure really. In either case, it still looked good. We follow Loulie al-Nazari, the "Midnight Merchant" who steals and sells magic. She saves a prince and draws the attention of the sultan. Said sultan blackmails her into going in search of a lamp in the desert. Starting to sound familiar? I think I've seen this before....grabbed it wanting to know more. Then realized it was from one of my favorite publishers: Orbit. First book in the Sandsea Trilogy. 

3. Dark Rise by C.S. Pacat - I bought this one on the recommendation of a friend from Discord. We were discussing our May reads and June TBRs and she asked if anyone had read it yet. I looked it up and was intrigued by the synopsis and the fact she said it made her angry. I want to know. I have to know. So when it appeared on my BookBub bargain email at the very top for only $1.99, you know this little goblin couldn't resist. I hope I like it. All I know right now is that it's portal magic and LGBTQIA+, which is really all I need to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment